Wednesday, September 02, 2015

Layer or Stack? Stack and Layer? Neither or Both?


Tanya Lochridge Jewelry Smoky and Rutilated Quartz Gemstone Necklace

So much confusion – do you layer or should you stack? The question is are these two very different styling mantras or are they really just different words for the same thing? Personally, I think I use the words interchangeably; but maybe I’ve been wrong all these years? Sure as heck wouldn’t be the first time and I am sure it’s not going to be the last! Do you layer necklaces but stack bracelets? Head spinning? I know mine is…well, it does all the time; but that’s another story best left for another day! Back to the jewelry and I’ll try to stay on track here! Lay down your bets now!

Here are a few examples of what I think of as “built in layers” – that means you don’t really have to make style choices when it comes to wearing any of these pieces. The majority of my necklaces are designed with three or five strands – making them pre-layered in my mind. Kind of just “throw it on, run out the door and love all the compliments received for your styling prowess.

Tanya Lochridge Jewelry Golden Obsidian, Crystal Quartz Gemstone & Freshwater Pearl Necklace

Tanya Lochridge Jewelry Pietersite & Pearl Five-Streand Gemstone Necklace
Tanya Lochridge Jewelry Agate, Onyx, Crystal Quartz Gemstone Necklace

But…should the mood hit and you’re feeling especially creative one day; you might want to play up the layered look by wearing a few of my necklaces together. It’s always fun to create a look that is perfect for you and your outfit du jour. I definitely don’t think of this as “stacking” of the necklaces…do you? The fun thing with it all is that you simply can’t do it wrong – not many things in life you can say that about are there? “Oops, I got on the N train and ended up in Brooklyn which made me very late for my meeting in Rockefeller Center!” Not quite so right, is that?

 Tanya Lochridge Jewelry Knotted Charm Collector's Czech Glass Cord Necklace
With all of that being said, oddly, I think I do have some subconscious “layer or stack” guidelines floating around in my head, influencing my choices. If I put on a bunch of bangles I tend to think of the lineup of beauties as a “stack.” Why a stack? Easy…there is less “flow” in the overall look so “stack” is the descriptor that comes to mind. Layers to me have more movement and more flow. So that means that necklaces or bracelets with more than one strand and some movement, even if minimal, equate to a layered look. Yes? No?

Tanya Lochridge Lochridge Jewelry Russian Amazonite, Smoky Quartz Gemstone Bangle

Tanya Lochridge Jewelry Russian-Amazonite-Gemstone-Floral-Carved-Bead-Soft-Bangle


You probably want to shout “honestly, Tanya does any of this really matter?” I’m the first to admit that I think too much about everything, including little things such as the style and layer conundrum. So, lucky you, I ‘m sharing my random thoughts today! (In my defense, working on my own as much as I do one tends to over think all the minutiae in life!)

P.S. Curious to know how you use the words “stack” and “layer” as they relate to your jewelry and style. And, for a parting thought – we layer clothes so why don’t we stack them other than in our closets and our dresser drawers?

Tanya Lochridge Jewelry Chrysocolla-Rainbow-Hickoryite-Bead-Bracelet

Tanya Lochridge Jewelry Smoky QUartz Gemstone Mother-of-Pearl Bangle

No comments:

Post a Comment