Thursday, July 24, 2014

Pantone Fall 2014: Aurora Red

 Kazuri Bead Red Threes the Charm Collection Bracelet

Don’t you just love the word “verve?” Something about it makes me smile. While reviewing the Pantone Fall 2014: Fashion Report, I came across a line that describes Aurora Red – “a more sophisticated red that adds verve and spark” in comparison to the Pantone color Sangria which is described as “an exotic red that evokes a sense of glamorous adventure and faraway destinations.” I swear, when I read these color descriptions I always feel like I should be in the caverns of a winery doing a bit of wine tasting.


 Kazuri Bead Black & White Collection Bracelet

No matter the verbiage, I love the color red and it tickles me that Mother Nature seems to like it too and favors us with a variety of stones within a wide variance in the red color range. My love of the color red goes way back – if you’ve read any of my Throwback Thursday posts, you’ll see that the color red played a significant role in my wardrobe over the years. Today, I have very few pieces of solid red clothing – shoes are the exception to that rule; but lucky for me, I do own a lot of red jewelry, vintage and new, and toss it in and out of play with pieces that come from the studio.
 Red Poppy, Jasper, Carnelian, Smoky Quartz, Aventurine Gemstone Bracelet
Red Poppy Jasper, Green Aventurine, Aragonite & African Opal Gemstone Necklace

I know this might sound strange – but, sometimes, I think the color red is a bit of a neutral. For that reason I style it with lots of different colored beads and gemstones. Curious, do you agree or disagree? It might depend on the exact shade of the color red. Now that I look at the images here, it might be that the more natural shades of red gemstones, like the poppy jasper, are more neutral when compared to the lampwork bead bracelet design. Something to ponder or put you to sleep.
 Red-Black Lampwork Bead Bracelet

This red and black Bohemian lampwork piece always takes me back to the moment I developed my respect for red glass. I was studying leaded glasswork with a wonderful fourth generation Irish glass artist in Newport Beach many, many, many moons ago. I had designed a window that was primarily created around various types of red glass. Well, did you know that red is one of the most difficult glass colors to work with? Yes…it’s true. While the finished project was beautiful in the end, my box of broken and poorly cut glass scraps was huge! At the time, Wesley thought it best not to discourage me when he saw my preliminary sketches…and I am glad for that as my appreciation for the color red grew from my overall experience and challenge in working with it. It was a definite love-hate kind of thing!
 Red Jasper, Czech Glass Vintage Bead Bracelet

Thank goodness we've reached the end of that little side trip; and, how I even get into those little excursions, I have no idea. At times I think James Joyce would be proud of me! Anyhow, I would love to hear your thoughts on the color red in clothing and accessories. Do you wear it; and ,if so, how? In large blocks or as a pop of color? I’m hoping that the pix here give you some styling inspiration and perhaps lead you to a place you’ve never been – not like the South Pole or some other geographic location – but a styling place that is new to you. It’s always fun to experiment with new colors and new designs, isn’t it?

 Crystal Quartz Gemstone, Pearl & Gold Vermeil Bracelet

 Knotted Cord Charm Collector Czech Glass Necklace

No comments:

Post a Comment