Sunday, March 17, 2013

It's so Easy Being Green!

Green Aventurine, Prehnite & Freshwater Pearl Bracelet
Maybe it’s because it’s St. Patrick’s Day, maybe it’s because Pantone has named Emerald the color of the year for 2013 or just maybe it’s because I gaze out the studio window and I see little touches of green here and there. I am so happy to see spring…so very happy. The winters in this part of the country are really tough – at least for this born and raised SoCal girl.

Lots of gray and rain and usually ice; but I have to say, this winter was relatively mild and I am so thankful to Mother Nature for that. While I do love the color green – I’m not so crazy about it in clothes. Don’t know why…some things we can’t explain. However, when it comes to gemstones and rocks – I love all of the greens. In fact, my all time favorite gem is tsavorite which as you know is the most vibrant and luscious of greens.


Green Mist Jasper & Freshwater Pearl Silver Bracelet

My love affair doesn’t stop there. The simply nature of green aventurine always catches my eye; it’s a soothing soft shade of green and when I wear it I often catch myself fiddling with the gemstone beads – seems to give me a sense of calm. Crazy? Probably, but then that’s me! Several years ago, in Tucson, I discovered green mist jasper, which I still think is a form of rhyolite and not jasper at all. But, whatever it is, I just know that it sends me over the moon. Unlike green aventurine, green mist jasper has bits and bobs of varying colors of green and other colors as well. You can actually see how the formation of the rock took place – the “balls” of color are what lead me to believe it is a form of rhyolite – igneous in nature. Too much science? 


Green Jade, Crystal Quartz, Freshwater Pearl Bracelet
Then there is jade – not surprisingly, I love all shades of green jade – the long history of jade jewelry has always fascinated me. Many years ago I was in a vintage jewelry store in San Francisco and a magnificent jade bracelet caught my eye. Thinking I wanted to treat myself, I looked at the tag -- $2400. Well, okay…a bit more than I had planned, but I just loved the piece -- its energy and the way it felt on my wrist. I showed it to my friend who looked at the tag and gasped – it was $24,000!! Well, we both had a great giggle and, needless to say, the bracelet stayed in the shop. But, to this day, I can still see and feel it on my wrist!
Green Aventurine, Prehnite & Freshwater Pearl Necklace
And, finally, you’ll notice that a lot of prehnite shows up in my designs. Since I believe in the healing energy of gemstones, rocks and minerals I love what prehnite is all about. Along with many other things, prehnite is thought to encourage acceptance, emotional release, forgiveness and compassion. And, most importantly, it helps the wearer remain true to self, uplifts their spirit and helps them find clarity of mind and heart. Wow, that makes it a pretty powerful stone. And, it’s the prettiest shade of green, slightly translucent with dark needle-like inclusions running through it. So, if you don’t have any prehnite in your jewelry collection you just might want to add a piece of two along with some of the other green stones shown here. Green is a lovely neutral that goes with every color in the rainbow making it good investment for your jewelry wardrobe. And, it's just darn beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment