Monday, January 02, 2012

2012? When Did That Happen/


Hard to believe, but here we go...a new year at hand. 2012...2012? How did that happen? At times I feel as if I am stuck in a time warp. While I think I keep up with the latest, I know that I cling to the past in many ways. Not that it's a bad thing, it's just what I do. To a certain degree, I think my environment spurs my longing for things past. You see, I live in a mid-century house. Well, to me it would be a tiny house built in the early 60s but to a designer it is "mid-century!"

Along with the hideous avocado green flooring in the kitchen and bath that coordinates wonderfully (!) with the avocado green appliances, sinks and tubs there are lots of little reminders of what life was like back when the house was built. Times were simpler then...I think. That cute little wood box in the upper pix to the right is fastened into the wood that sides my front door. The second pix shows the inside -- a little note pad and pencil. I love this little reminder of the days when people stopped by and if the residents of the house weren't home, they left a little handwritten note. Yes, times were such in those years that, as kids, we left the house in the morning and didn't talk with our parents until we came home late in the afternoon. Somehow we managed to live through it all. I do understand that times are much different than they were when I was a kid and that it is important for people, especially kids, to touch base for safety; but at times I wonder if we haven't gone to far with it all? In a strange way, these days I am more connected to lots of people, but in a very disconnected way. The nuance of face-to-face conversation is missing. But...then with an addition of more technology I could have face-to-face. But that's a story for another day.




Don't get me wrong. All of this techno communication wizardry has made it possible for me to have a jewelry biz at which I sell beautiful baubles to clients around the world. I love that! Along with my site, as you know, for the biz of jewelry, I also communicate through facebook and late last year I added Twitter to the mix. While I find it all fascinating and fun, it still feels a bit overwhelming. Living in this tiny little community in the Pacific Northwest, I love that I can connect with others around the globe. One of the things I loved about life in NYC was the immense diversity I encountered every day; along with the energy of the streets. Living in this part of the world, that energy and diversity are the things I miss the most. So being able to connect with people from all walks of life, even in a remote way, is fun for me. At the same time, I find it a bit innervating to constantly keep up with Tweets. I know, I am an old dog; but I want to think that I am capable of learning new tricks...it just might take a bit longer than it did when I was a girl! For me, the best solution has been to think about Twitter as the hallway in the office. People pop in to comment about some bit of life and I respond in kind. Most times it's silly -- but at times it's a word of encouragement or gratitude. 

As we move into the new year, it is my hope that I make the adjustment to all the techno stuff a bit smoother. While I fought getting an iPhone for years, now that I have it, I don't know how I lived without it. An iPad2 is next on the list...and then I will stop with all the techno stuff...I think. I do know that I will never give up the joy and the magic I experience when taking pen to paper -- yes, an actual pen with ink and paper from a tree. So, don't be surprised if you see me walking and jotting down a note at the same time -- while all this technology is amazing, please let me stay in the "old days" at least a few minutes of every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment