Sunday, November 06, 2011

The Changing of the Time


Today was that nutso day where, if you live in this part of the country, you change the time to PST. Even after all these years...I just don't get it. I did watch an entertaining video about it all posted on YouTube. I would be more than happy to post the link here if I could could remember it since it explained all the hoopla in a very witty way. It just seems like such an archaic system to me and one that doesn't make much sense at all. But, like lemmings, we follow along and do it.

Lucky niece of mine, who lives in the part of Arizona that does not change the time, has no need to adjust to a new schedule of day light. But now I have to stretch my memory to remember if we are on the same time or if I am now one hour behind her every time I call or text. The hardest part is trying to explain to Bea, the Wonder Cairn, that it really isn't her dinner time yet -- she just forgot to change her clock!




Any how -- that rant being over, today turned out to be quite lovely here. The sky was amazing as you can see in the image. If you didn't know by now, I live in the Willamette Valley, which is quite wide and flat -- a prairie with a very rich history. I do believe that the cloud formations reflect the flat nature of the valley and this pix is no exception to that thinking. When I see clouds mixed in with gorgeous blue skies thoughts are triggered of the earliest residents of this area. If only I could travel back in time to see the Native American settlements and be witness to a life that I am sure was quite wonderful in many ways. It must have been idyllic in that the soil is rich, there is ample water from rain, and lots of robust rivers flowing through the area. I'm really not sure if my thinking is accurate or I am way off the mark -- but I do know that the people who lived in this area many years ago were a hearty stock, including those who came to settle from other parts of the country and the world. One of these days, I will have to do some real research on the history of the area. I know there is quite a bit available, I just never think to do it at a time when I can! The biggest question is -- do you think they changed the time twice a year or were they much wiser than we are today?

No comments:

Post a Comment