Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Dreaming in Chocolate

It's that time of year again when the aisles in the grocery stores are lined with bags, and bags, and bags of orange and black treasures busting with all kinds of chocolate-laden treats. Oh so tempting. I have learned over the years not to bring those treats home too early...under the guise of preparing for the cherubs knocking on the door and holding out bags to be filled. Why? Well, for me...it's just too darn tempting and before the end of the first day I have managed to rip open a bag or two and start my own kind of trick-or-treating.

This year, I am going to wait until the day of and take my chances that something good will be left on the shelves. Thinking of Halloween, I remember as a child going to the doors of our friends homes where we would be invited in for apple cider, a little visit with aging relatives, and then be able to choose the goodies we wanted from a wide selection. In those days, homemade items were totally acceptable -- we knew everyone in the neighborhood and trusted that there would be no tricks up their sleeves. Popcorn balls were always my favorite. Made with creamy buttery homemade caramel sauce and fresh popped corn, wrapped in waxed paper. Do they still make waxed paper? And, oh...I wonder just how many carbs are in one of those heavenly popcorn balls?


With that thought in mind, I am thinking, at least for my treat bag, I'm better off with some yummy chocolate "flavored" jewelry. Makes my wrists and neckline happy -- as well as my hips! Because I'm choosing jewelry over sugar-filled goodies my hips won't be in danger of getting any bigger -- at least not because of chocolate. Right? I know, I know, I'll crack and eat a few little things here and there, after all, isn't that part of the fun in life? Best not to take it all too seriously, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment