Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Color Outside the Lines


Clearly having one of those days where I am working the split personality deal. But, in a good way -- at least I think it's in a good way. As you know, I love to layer bracelets -- case in point, while chatting with a jewelry buyer this morning about carrying my line in their chain of stores, I kind of snort-laughed when she asked if I really wore more than one bracelet at a time. Once I regained my composure (honestly, no one likes to snort during the first conversation with a potential buyer) my response was "isn't that why there's so much space between my wrist and my elbow?" There is no real science to it, I just like to get them all stacked so they feel good while they are in place.




Since I am a jewelry player, the bracelets I am wearing usually change throughout the day. Wait, that doesn't sound quite right -- I start out with the bracelets layered in one way; but find myself rearranging their position throughout the day for some reason or another. I think it is just totally entertaining for me; and my mind seems to be going in a lot of different directions at any one time, so it's kind of a little meditation-like deal I do. That or I really do have serious attention deficiencies -- which we know I have but never really labeled them as "major."


That being said, I thought it would be fun to share a few of the different ways I style one of my newest Etruscan-inspired carnelian beauties. It can be pretty chic looking with jumbo gold bangles or take on a "just picked from my favorite Paris flea market stall" look with the enamel bangles. When I want to really mix it up, I throw it together with wood bangles from my 50s collection and toss in a street vendor painted wood/gold bangle I found at the 68th Street Flea market a thousand years ago. If you look closely at that stack -- you'll also see a tortoise shell bangle from Agatha in NYC. And, if all that doesn't work, I can always put it together with a gigantic amber bracelet that has been in my collection for as long as I can remember; sadly I have no idea where or when I got it. But I love it.


In my mind, none of it is wrong. It's all perfectly styled...just the way I want it at that exact moment. I feel bad for women who get tied in to thinking they have to follow "the rules" in fashion. Hell, I say throw the rule book out the window and give yourself the freedom to play with your jewelry and your clothes. If you like it and how it looks, then it's right. To me, there is nothing more interesting than a woman who feels comfortable just being who she is -- even if that woman does change from day to day. So have some fun and color outside the lines -- see how many looks you can get from the pieces in your collection; and, most importantly, wear them with confidence...trust me...people will notice and admire your panache!

No comments:

Post a Comment