Monday, August 29, 2011

Diversity -- it's a Grand Thing


I'm in the studio today, checking inventory and doing some odds and ends -- nothing unusual for Monday. In the silence of it all, I had another one of those "it was there all the time you just didn't see it moments." While all of my jewelry designs are similar in that they have a distinctive feel to them (at least I think they do), in many ways they are really quite diverse. Case in point -- this gorgeous pearl, aquamarine and patina starfish number (which sorry to say is not for sale) keeps me company on a bust across from my workbench.

Just for the record, I am talking bust as in necklace display not boobs! Today, I am wearing a bold onyx bracelet bracelet that has a "go-with" necklace. For the first time, I really saw the onyx bracelet and the pearl beauty at the same time. Screech. The two necklaces couldn't be more different. Yet, oddly, I designed them both and wear them both -- just not together. Shocking, for the Queen of the Stack, I know! So, looking at these two necklaces side by side, I am now wondering if I have a split personality and just maybe need some professional help.


Of course, it made me think about all of you, my clients, and how as women we all play different roles depending on the moment. So, okay, maybe I didn't need to call the shrink...just yet, at least not about this concern. Over the years, I have always thought that I designed jewelry for a very specific woman...one who is confident, strong, and wears bold yet feminine jewelry. She also understands the difference between top-quality and disposable jewelry and clothing. She opts for top-quality every time. I still believe that I am very right about that thinking. But, seeing these two necklaces side-by-side, I wondered if there could be a side of that woman that I never really considered? Oh goody, something else to ponder. In all of this, I came to the conclusion that it's probably not another side of that woman, but merely another aspect of her personality that hinges on the situation in which she finds herself or the mood at the moment. 

All and all -- it's about diversity, being good with it and then jumping in and totally enjoying it. I'd like to think that I am an example of that conclusion. Today, I am wearing a bold onyx bracelet layered with pretty bold gold bangles -- I feel strong and confident -- and I still feel very feminine. Tomorrow, I may opt to wear the pearl number shown above -- depending on the whim of the moment. Will I feel any less strong, confident and feminine; honestly, I don't think so. But if I did, between you and me, perhaps it would be time to check in with my shrink. Bottom line -- we are diverse creatures, we have diverse moods and we often dress/accessorize to match our mood -- isn't that a grand thing?

No comments:

Post a Comment